Local Attractions

We are a ten minute walk from the railway station and there is a regular bus service from Inverness, Wick airport is 20 miles away.
Murray House is an ideal base for exploring the many attractions and activities Caithness has to offer. Thurso esplanade and beach, famous for surf enthusiasts is a 5 minute walk away, restaurants, bars and shops are all within 200 yards.
Scrabster the local port for catching a ferry to Orkney is just over 1 mile away and Pentland Ferries who operate a car ferry from Gill’s Bay is approximately 17 miles from Thurso. John O’Groat Ferries is a passenger ferry approx. 20 miles along the north coast where you can visit Orkney’s attractions on a day trip – highly recommended.

Thurso Beach

Thurso beach is a very short five minutes walk from Murray House, it faces northwards, across the Pentland Firth to Orkney and the island of Hoy. In recent years, Thurso beach has gained a reputation amongst surfers; in certain wind and tidal conditions, some of the finest waves in Europe can be enjoyed here. Thurso beach and the esplanade are also highly recommended for those who love a fine walk!

More Information

Thurso Castle

Thurso Castle was once a very grand building on the east side of the town. In modern times, part of it is a ruin, and another part is a private residence. Thurso Castle dates from the 12th century and is said to have been built on the site of an Iron Age broch. After a fire, the castle was rebuilt in the 1660s, it was restored and enlarged in 1806 and 1835, and remodelled again in 1872. During World War 2, an anti-shipping mine came ashore below the castle and exploded. This led to unstable sections of the building being demolished in 1952. These days the building is still an impressive and imposing sight; the ruin can be enjoyed from afar on a beachfront walk.

More Information

Old St Peter’s Kirk

One of the finest religious buildings from the Middle Ages to survive in the North of Scotland, Old St Peter’s Kirk is nestled amidst the oldest part of the town, close to the river. The church was founded in the 13th century by Bishop Gilbert de Moravia, with later additions made in the 16th and 17th century. Amongst these is the striking window on the west aisle; which was carved from a single stone slab and inserted in 1630. Old St Peter’s Kirk was abandoned in 1832 and is now a handsome ruin.

More Information